Incontinence pads are special pads designed for people suffering from accidental urine leakage. If you leak urine when you sneeze or laugh, then you have a problem known as urinary incontinence.
Most incontinence pads consist of more than 1 layer of protection. The first layer usually acts as collection layer. It collects the urine and passes it on to the next absorbent layer. There the liquid urine is turned into a semi-solid gel like substance with the help of super absorbent powders. Thus dual layer of protection helps in keeping the skin dry and prevents skin rashes. Prolonged contact between skin and urine is harmful. Incontinence pads also prevent odours from urine accumulation. They do so by preventing the formation of ammonia inside the pads.
There are various brands of incontinence pads available in the market. They also come in different sizes. Larger incontinence pads are used for severe cases of urinary incontinence, but most people will have their own preference. If you are new to wearing incontinence pads, then it is advisable to wear a smaller size with less absorbency first, and then increase the size as well as absorbency, if you feel it necessary. Talk to your Doctor first before using an incontinence pad as he may advice you on the best product to use for your case. Using a product with less or too much absorbency is not recommended as it may cause Skin Irritation.
Steps to wear an incontinence pad:
- Standing up is the best stance to wear an incontinence pad. If you cannot support yourself then you may lay down. Or you could ask someone to help you stand up and wear the pad.
- Clean the groin area with an antiseptic liquid to remove any bacteria that might cause infection.
- Remove the adhesive backing from the incontinence pad. To facilitate insertion, fold the liner in half down the centre length-wise to form a hotdog bun shape.
- Spread your legs and then insert the pad between the legs and cover the area from front to back. This will prevent cross contamination of the urethra by the anus and save you from harmful infections.
- Spread the back of the pad at the buttocks and position the front panel evenly along the crotch area to cover the area. This helps to ensure proper positioning and prevents leaks.
For more information please visit www.beautyofnormal.com.au